Saturday, February 3, 2018

"Movement" Artist's Statement


"Movement." Brittany Hennigan. February 3, 2018. Acrylic on White Canvas. Inspired by Photo. 15.5 hours. 

So I've never written one of these before and when I had a teacher willing to teach me how I chose not to because I was only painting specific types of paintings because he assigned them; there was no deeper meaning.

So here goes...

I paint as a form of stress management. I did not realize this until I was an adult, but that is a huge part of why I do art. (If we're being entirely honest it started as anger management as a child and then transitioned well to stress management as an adult). 

I started this painting because I was injured. I fell off a long-board over the summer and gave myself a good ankle sprain complete with nerve damage and also somehow tennis elbow. I was down for the count and unable to exercise (my other main form of stress management) I was going nuts and was getting pretty angry at the injury and my inability to manage my stress. 

I bought the biggest canvas I could find at Walmart and started painting. I was feeling more of a color than a particular object, so I looked up pictures of purple things until I came upon this great butterfly picture. 

I chose the name for the painting while working on the background. I've been told I make things "too busy" and I began to worry that there was too much going on in the background. Using my reference picture I decided to continue despite the large amount of movement in the background: I liked it. 

I left the top left of the background rather plain because I enjoy the purple/green contrast. It is also symbolic of the movement yet to come in my life. 

Fun new disclaimer!
This blog and the posts contained within may or may not reflect the views/beliefs of my employer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment