Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A "good" cry

What is this thing other girls talk about...the good cry?

I don't understand it, I hate crying. For me crying just results in puffy eyelids and a bloody nose.

I was talking to a guy friend of mine about this. We don't understand. I've heard there is some benefit...psychological maybe?

I read an article, er let's be honest...part of an article...about crying. It says that when you cry emotional tears (vs. reflex tears) toxins and stress hormones are released from your body. It helps us to release stress from our systems. It cannot take the cause of the stress out, but can provide a momentary relief.

I can understand the relief caused by releasing stress hormones, I mean those are nasty things. But instead of that stress, I am left with a headache and a lot of explaining to do. If someone finds out that you were crying, they want to know why and I don't usually feel like explaining myself. That just brings the stress right back! I don't like it, not one bit. Isn't there a better way to release those stress hormones?

A different article suggests that exercise allows the body to produce more endorphin's  and less stress hormones. I don't know about you, but I much prefer exercising to crying.

What do you think? Is there such a thing as a good cry? I'd love to read your opinion!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmmm i do think that sometimes there are good cries. It is nice to have that feeling that you have finally allowed yourself to release all of that emotion that you have had inside or to feel what is going on in ur head in the moment. The whole getting caught crying thing does stink but sometimes explaining it (as long as you are explaining it to someone you can trust) can help you deal with the stress almost as well as crying can so i guess getting caught crying by someone you can talk to is like double the relief. Idk why God invented crying but He has a purpose for it so i guess there must be some method to the madness of random face raining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya I guess. I guess I've just always been the one to "do" something with my emotions, like run it out or put a set of shelves together pounding that hammer with a purpose! I don't like them just spilling from my face!

      Delete